Our Frequently Asked Questions:
Oilesen Vitamin D3
Each Oilesen Vitamin D3 Soft Capsule contains Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) in Extra Virgin olive oil for immunity and bones.
Each Oilesen Vitamin D3 Drops contains Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) on the basis of Extra Virgin olive oil suitable for vegetarians.
Each Oilesen Vitamin D3 Spray contains Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) are water soluble and suitable for vegetarians.
Extra-virgin olive oil is an unrefined oil of the highest-quality. It is not treated with chemicals or altered by temperature. It also contains more of the natural vitamins and minerals found in olives.
Oilesen Vitamin D3 supplements contain different strengths of vitamin D3 and the ‘IU’ stands for International Units. International Units are used to measure the biological activity of vitamins and are based on the same measurements as micrograms but are not equivalent.
Oilesen Vitamin D3 supplements contain different strengths of vitamin D3 and the ‘MG’ or ‘MCG’ stands for micrograms. Micrograms are used to measure the biological activity of vitamins and are based on the same measurement as International Units (IU) but are not equivalent. 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 µg cholecalciferol.
The current Nutrient Reference Value of vitamin D3 is 5 µg.
We have launched these strengths of Oilesen Vitamin D3 in response to requests from Consultants, GPs and Healthcare professionals in the UK for a high-quality vitamin D3 products
The Department of Health recommends:
– Pregnant and breastfeeding women should take a daily supplement containing 10 µg of vitamin D. This is to ensure the mother’s requirement for vitamin D are met and to build adequate fetal stores for early infancy
– For parents to provide babies and young children aged 6 months to 5 years to take a daily supplement containing vitamin D in the form of vitamin drops, to help them to meet the requirement set for this age group (7-8.5 µg of vitamin D per day). However, babies who are fed infant formula milk will not need vitamin drops until they are receiving less than 500ml (about a pint) of infant formula a day, as these products are fortified with vitamin D. Breastfed infants may need to receive drops containing vitamin D from one month of age if their mother has not taken vitamin D supplements throughout pregnancy.
– People aged 65 years and over and people who are not exposed to much sun should take a daily supplement containing 10 µg of vitamin D.
The current advice is that most people should be able to get all the vitamin D they need by getting enough sun and eating a healthy balanced diet. However, the Department of Health recommends that supplementation may be helpful for the following groups of people:
– All pregnant and breastfeeding women – vitamin D stores get used up during pregnancy, so women who have several pregnancies close together are at higher risk
– Infants and young children aged under five years old – babies of mothers who are deficient, particularly breastfed babies from 1 to 6 months
– All people aged 65 or over – housebound people in nursing and residential homes are particularly at risk
– People who have low or no exposure to the sun – overuse of sunscreen, particularly high factor SPFs. People who cover their skin for cultural reasons. Sports people who spend all day training indoors
– People who have darker skin – people of South Asian, African and Afro-Caribbean origin as their bodies are not able to make as much natural vitamin D
Oilesen Vitamin D3 may be given to children under 11 years providing you seek advice from your doctor or pharmacist. Pregnant or nursing women should consult their doctor before use.
The recommended daily maintenance dosage is 10µg as outlined in the NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence – https://www.nice.org.uk) guidance. The guidance was developed to ensure that the UK population has a satisfactory level of Vitamin D throughout the year, in order to protect musculoskeletal bone health. The guidelines also recognise that Halal supplements must be made readily available to at-risk patients. The SACN (Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition – https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-committee-on-nutrition) has recently issued consumption guidelines on Vitamin D within their health report published on 21 July 2016 to protect bone and muscle health.
If you are experiencing difficulty in swallowing the tablets then we would advise you to purchase our liquid maintenance products in the form of the softgel capsules (capsules can be chewed or the contents squeezed into a meal, a drink or directly into the mouth.), Oral Spray or the Oral Drops.
Vitamin D is the most likely of all vitamins to cause toxicity. Whilst toxicity is unlikely to arise after an acute overdose, excessive chronic vitamin D intake may lead to hypercalcaemia and hypercalciuria and their associated effects.
Excessive sun exposure does not result in vitamin D toxicity due to auto-regulation mechanisms that limit the amount produced in the skin. Intakes of vitamin D in food that are high enough to cause toxicity are very unlikely. Toxicity is much more likely to occur from high intakes of dietary supplements containing vitamin D. Vitamin D promotes the absorption of calcium and the resorption of bone resulting in the deposition of calcium in soft tissues, diffuse demineralization of bones and irreversible renal and cardiovascular toxicity. Moderate levels of vitamin D intake may enhance renal stone formation in predisposed individuals.
You can continue to eat vitamin D3 rich foods such as oily fish and take other vitamin and mineral supplements in conjunction with Oilesen Vitamin D3.
Oilesen Vitamin D3 does NOT contain peanut oil or any nut products.
Yes, as Oilesen Vitamin D3 supplements do not contain lactose.
The vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) used in Oilesen Vitamin D3 is derived from lanolin which is found in sheep’s wool. Many vegetarians consider this to be an acceptable source of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).
- Oilesen Vitamin D3 Drops is free from gelatin, yeast, wheat, soy and gluten.
- Oilesen Vitamin D3 Spray is free from gelatin, yeast, wheat, soy and gluten.
d. Oilesen Vitamin D3 soft gel capsules is free from yeast, wheat, soy and gluten. Only the shell covers contain the gelatin.